Christmas at Vanilla Pod is about family, friends, and of course food.
Brisbane's warmer weather over summer calls for recipes that are light and fresh, but still delicious. Scott's scrumptious Christmas Banoffee Pie is the perfect festive dessert - it's light with a decadent twist, easy to make and enjoyable shared with friends and family.
Let Vanilla Pod fill your table this Christmas, visit our Christmas store to place your order.
1 x Blind baked 10 inch shortcrust pastry shell (recipe below)
2 x 395g tins of condensed milk or a jar of your favourite caramel
2 x fresh bananas
500 ml fresh thickened cream
Half teaspoon vanilla bean paste from Vanilla Pod Cake & Deli Cafe
1 x tub Pariya slivered pistachios from the deli
1 x pot edible glitter from the deli
Ingredients Pastry Shell:
450g (3 cups) plain flour, sifted
2 tablespoons icing sugar
185g unsalted butter, cubed
1 egg yolk
Method Pastry Shell:
1. To make the pastry, place the flour and icing sugar in a food processor and process to combine. Add the butter and process until it resembles fine crumbs. Add the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons cold water and process until a smooth ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
2. Then using a floured rolling pin, roll out the pastry to half a centimetre thick and line a greased 10inch pie/tart tin with the pastry. Place a circle of non stick baking paper on the pastry, cover with rice and bake for 15 minutes at 180. Remove the rice and baking paper and bake for a further 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
1. Peel labels off condensed milk tins and place in a pot with water covering the tins completely. Place lid on the pot, bring water to the boil and simmer the can on a medium heat for 2.5 hours. Check the pot periodically ensuring to tins are always covered with water. After 2.5hours remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
2. Place the 500ml of thickened cream and vanilla paste in a mix master and whisk on high speed for approximately 2 minutes or until it forms firm peaks, then refrigerate.
3. Open the cooled tins or Jar and using a spatula fill the pastry shell half way with the caramel.
4. Slice the bananas 5mm thick and lay over the caramel.
5. Spoon or pipe a generous layer of the whipped cream over the bananas.
6. Sprinkle the slivered pistachios over the cream and finish with a dusting of edible glitter.
Note: Can be made 24hours in advance.